Sunday, March 6, 2011

I hate kick sets

I made the decision yesterday to try out my sweet kick board at the pool.  I know that when I swim my kicking really really weak, so in an effort to try and change that I decided to try out some kick sets.  First of all I was the only one in the pool yesterday.  While some may think this is neat, it is pretty unnerving to be the only person in a giant pool with your own private lifeguard.  I guess when I think back to it, I did kind of feel like the president.

Anyway back to the workout.  Being the only one in the pool and having never done a kick set before, I put it off as long as I could.  Instead of starting out with the kick sets I decided to swim 1000 yards of fast 50's to warm up.  It was supposed to be 500 yards, but then I got to embarassed to try the kicking so I did another 500.  When I finally manned up and grabbed my crab kick board, I realized that I really hate kicking.  I was seriously struggling to make it to the other side of the pool.  When I finally made it to the other side, my hip flexors were on fire, my quads burned and was ready to never kick again.

I forced myself to do 20 minutes of kicking and swimming and at the end of the set I don't know if my kick had improved much, but I knew that I really hated kick sets.  This hatred of kick sets has made me realize that I will now have to try and do more kick sets in the future. Great this is going to be a fun swim season.

On the docket for today is some sort of distance run.  We'll see how long it is as snow is in the forecast and I am soo tired of running in snow that I might cut it short if it does start snowing heavily.  Take a look below for my sweet crab kick board. I am pretty sure that this is the most awesome kick board ever made.  I'm off to track down some spandex, running shoes, and a big ole glass of classiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment